Improving the World through Partnerships, Research, Training and Innovation…
Our Projects- Summary
Sustainable Aquaculture Feed Project- Using insects as a sustainable Aquaculture food for Murray Cod (Carnivorous fish). This includes 6 food production systems using aquatic animals/plants and insects. This is a very exciting and ambitious project.
Insect Breeding Database Project– Using data from our partnership program we are developing a comprehensive database of production rates, setup, troubleshooting and learnings from insect breeders around the world. This is invaluable information which helps us deliver our consultancy and partnership program. We also aim to use this information for humanitarian projects to help develop robust and productive food production systems to developing countries.
Edible Insect Industry Platform- We are busy creating a industry wide platform for edible insects. Our latest website insectsasfoods.com incorporates a directory site, market place/shop, breeding insect learning center, consultancy & partnership program and information. Our Mission is to Create the Worlds Best Edible Insect Platform from Paddock to Plate”
Shipping Container Cricket Systems (low maintenance): Over the years we have developed a low maintenance cricket breeding system using shipping containers. In conjunction with our partners we have streamlined the process so that there is minimal maintenance and maximum output. We aim to develop a online course soon on how to build a Productive Cricket Farm using a shipping container modular system.
New Cricket Methods-Flatpack Cricket System- We have developed a new and innovative cricket breeding system which we believe will revolutionize cricket production. It requires very little maintenance, very robust and consistent, requires little technical expertise and more productive than commercial systems. This is a game changer for the industry. We are looking for investors to flat pack this new system and bring it to the world. Soon we will be looking for investors to take this technology to the world.
Disease Management Project: Over time we have learnt that disease and pest management is what can make or break a insect farm. There is little information available on how to identify and manage disease and pests. Through our consultations we have developed some methods to deal with this issue.
Other Projects- See below for more details…
Sustainable Aquaculture Feed Project (Australia)
It might come as some surprise, but we not only do insects, we also have worked in Aquaculture for many years. We are applying years of research into action by creating sustainable aquatic feed for Murray Cod (Carnivorous) using aquatic invertebrates and insects. This is a very exciting and ambitious project for the following reasons:
– Develop a sustainable feed source for Fresh Water Fin Fish (namely Murray Cod) to reduce or replace pellet based food. This will be achieved using 6 separate food production systems.
– Remove waste from the ponds (Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates) and improve water quality using natural cycles (zero water discharge aquaculture system).
– Reduce operating costs and increase income by embracing new technologies.
– Benchmark a new innovative cricket production system which has potential to create sustainable protein in a very efficiently manner with little maintenance.
– Increase use of renewable energy- solar power.
– Convert fish waste into food, and create a zero discharge aquaculture system.
– Improving the economics of Aquaculture by lowering food, electricity, food and labor costs.
– Develop a sustainable food source for crickets as well (typically use grain based pellet diets).
Flat Pack Cricket Breeding Project
We are bench marking our new cricket breeding method which will transform cricket breeding for hobbyist and commercially. This system is very productive, robust and requires very little maintenance. Below are the advantages of this proprietary system:
- Greater production rates than conventional commercial systems.
- Many farms fail due to lack of expertise. Our system has high consistency and productivity without the need for training or experience, making it available to everyone.
- Many zoos and wildlife rescue carers buy insects due to the high maintenance of insect breeding. Our system has substantially lower maintenance and labor costs making it available for many other sectors which are time poor (aquaculture, wildlife rescue, zoos).
- 10% extra containers available for production as there is no breeding containers (rearing and breeding in same container)
- No need for expensive climate control setups. Small scale setups can get commercial results using a simple matt heater. This system can be used by anyone, anywhere (with or without climate control).
- Increased consistency as the most technical components (heat and humidity management of pinheads) is removed due to good design.
- Our aim is to find a investor and flat pack this method so that every pet hobbyist, zoo, wildlife carer, commercial insect farmer or families in developing countries can produce crickets easily and efficiently.
Converting a Garage into an Insect and Wildlife Rescue Business
One of our partners has converted a garage into an insect and wildlife business. They are a wildlife carer who now breeds insects (mealworms, cockroaches) for her local wildlife group, saving them lots of money. She also buys common wildlife rescue supplies and sells them at very discounted prices to here wildlife group. This is a great business model…instead of 50 wildlife carers all struggling to producing insects, they have one wildlife carer producing the insects so that 49 other carers can get on with caring for wildlife.
Sustainable Stock Feed
Working with Inland Australian Farmers to Breed Sustainable aquatic and terrestrial plant Feeds to help feed Cattle and support farmers in drought. We will also use these methods to provide a sustainable food source for insect breeders to help reduce the reliance on wheat and fishmeal pellet products.
14 Years of Sweat and Tears…Or Access the Best Information Instantly?
Not many people realize it initially, but breeding insects is a “school of hard knocks” industry. Those who do well, learn from their mistakes quickly and learn from others who have spent years trialing different things. We have made many mistakes over the years and toiled using high maintenance techniques. Then we learnt how to do it much quicker and with less effort. After 14 years you learn a few shortcuts and learn how to:
- Build the right containers that are durable and have the right balance between ventilation, removing toxic gas in summer, heat retention and preventing pest entry.
- Build durable, stable and reliable food and water dispensers that are automated to minimize maintenance and reduce cannibalism
- Manage vinegar flies and other pests which nearly destroyed our business
- Sort, pack and distribute to customers.
- Create consistency through standardizing of feeding, maintenance and management.
- Be efficient with your time and how to reduce or eliminate costs (e.g. solar heating, reduced maintenance, efficient design).
The Worlds most Comprehensive Insect Breeding Guides (Crickets, Cockroaches, Mealworms)
Our books and training are the most comprehensive on the market and are the only book available that covers both private and commercial production in detail. For instance our Cricket Breeding Manual is 160 pages and 240 color photos and sets a benchmark for insect breeding. The mealworm book has 20 chapters, 100 sections and hundreds of photos. To see why our books are the most comprehensive books around click Here.
All the major issues for commercial production are covered including: Biology, Container Design and Construction, Food and Water Requirements, making automated Food and Water Dispensers, Heating, Maintenance and Pest Management, Grading and Selling, Marketing and more.
We are in the process of developing a webinar series to help people start a insect breeding business. Please contact us if you want to be advised when this webinar series is finished.
Our resources contain step by step instructions along with hundreds of photos to give you a proven and tried method to build your business. Our training resources has set the benchmark for the insect breeding industry and is the go to authority for