Tried and Tested Techniques that have Worked Successfully for over 14 years…
Lets face it, most people give up on conventional cricket breeding methods after a few months….who has the time for the daily spraying, cleaning, feeding and sorting into different sizes. To complete the failure cycle, most colonies then collapse from disease and pests due to lack of maintenance. There must be a better way!
With over 14 years experience breeding insects for private use and commercially, we have tried every method available and found them very frustrating… so we developed our own systems which overcome the disadvantages of conventional cricket breeding. Below we explain how its four distinct zones have improved hygiene, breeding consistency, production and importantly maintenance:
How 4 Separate Zones Will Get you Better Results
- Automated food and water dispensers feed your animals even when you go on holidays.
- Our unique feeding tray houses dry food, wet food and water in a single unit which saves space and prevents spills. It also saves time cleaning as all 3 components come out together.
- Our external feeding port allows you to drop in wet foods without even opening the lid. This feature allows you to compactly store multiple containers in a shelf saving space and increasing the number of containers you can store in a given area.
- The feeding port and automated food stations means there is no need to open the container lid until maintenance time (every 7-14 days).
- This zone collects all the waste the crickets produce and allows you to easily remove it.
- One of the main reasons for low productivity in traditional methods is fungus and bacterial infections of the eggs caused by contaminated substrate. So the detritus collection area not only saves you time, it eliminates odors and disease; increases egg viability; and increases cricket production.
- This dedicated zone is designed to maintain constant humidity and high temperatures which are ideal for egg production and rearing.
- We have structures that prevents pinheads from being eaten and allows them to safely move to the housing zone.
- With traditional substrate techniques, detritus makes contact with the substrate and forms a hardened capping on the surface. This reduces the ability of the female crickets to lay in the substrate, and baby pinheads from hatching and leaving the substrate. The detritus collection system removes these impediments.
- Cannibalism is a significant problem when crickets are placed in high densities. We have minimized cannibalism in the housing zone by:
1) The compact design of the above zones;
2) the high surface area of the housing area;
3) and automated food and water dispensers
- In a conventional breeding system the high humidity means you need to replace the cartons regularly. We have a controlled release of humidity to the housing areas which means you only need to replace them every 9 months (normally you would need to replace them every 7-14 days).
- Needs no active management (No spraying, no rotating crickets etc);
- Collects waste for you;
- Only requires one container (not 7 like conventional methods);
- Food/ water dispensers which attends to your insects for 7-14 days or more;
- Requires only 3 minutes maintenance every 7-14 days (less time than standing in line at the pet store)
- Each 20 Gallon (70 L) breeding container can produce one container of adult crickets from a pet store each week.
- The average 2 child family can produce enough scrap vegies to feed 4 breeding containers, which is enough crickets to feed 4-12 bearded dragons (depending of feeding rate). That’s around $1400/year (Au) you are currently throwing away!!.
Additional Benefits to You
Each of the 4 zones works together and provides the following benefits to you:
- As large crickets are removed they are quickly replaced with a plentiful supply of pinheads generated from the large surface area of the substrate.
- As there is less maintenance and hassle, your consistency increases which increases productivity and success over the long term (I have been doing this system for 13 years now with minimal effort).
- Eliminates odors as their detritus does not mix with wet substrate (i.e. no fermentation).
- As the substrate has high humidity all the time, you only need to wet the substrate once every week or two. This enable you to go on one/two week holidays without the system crashing.
- This system is perfect for kids to earn extra pocket money or to learn how to start a small business for themselves.
Overall this Low Maintenance Cricket Breeding Method Significantly Increases Cricket Production and Less Cleaning, Maintenance and Smells.You really can produce more insects with much less effort. Its time to work smarter, not harder! You can see why we are pretty proud of what we have achieved.
Free Cricket Breeding Course
For more information on how to breed crickets, get your free 9 lesson today. This training course has videos and lots of useful information which covers:
- How a conventional cricket breeding system works
- How our proprietary cricket breeding system works
- Cricket biology
- Container design
- Feeding, gut loading
- Pest management and lots more…
The Easiest Guide to use…More Photos, Diagrams and Videos.
A massive 240 photos, diagrams and tables (for crickets, 145 for cockroaches) in conjunction with “Step by Step” instructions showing you how to do everything clearly, and in an easy to understand format.
We also provide complementary videos how to build our small scale cricket breeding system when you purchase the book. Combine this with email support, Skype training , you simply can’t go wrong.
Why not Breed Both Crickets and Cockroaches…..with Less Cleaning, Smells and Escapees!!
Did you know that the materials you use to breed crickets can also be used to breed cockroaches. Many people breed cockroaches successfully, however many people still struggle to maintain a messy cleaning routine, odors and containing these unruly critters… Just ask our partners!!
Now you can breed cockroaches with less effort, smells and fewer escapes.See our “Breeding Cockroaches” page to see 40 ways the “The Complete Cockroach Breeding Manual”will save you time and effort.
See what People Are Saying about our Books!!!
“The breakthrough wildlife enthusiasts have been waiting for. The crickets just keep coming!! .
“This book is amazing, there is so much information. Finally, a cricket breeding guide that offers something different to “placing toilet rolls and a bowl of vegies into a fish tank”.
“I wish I had discovered this book years ago. I cant believe how little time in now takes me to clean my woodies colony now”.
No matter your skill level, our commercial techniques will improve your efficiency and move you well past the “place a bowl of vegetables and toilet roles in a fish tank” stage. For a small one off investment (probably 2-3 weeks of live food costs) you will be armed with numerous techniques that will fast track successful cricket and cockroach breeding. This will save you thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours in wasteful and painful experimentation.
How to Purchase our Manuals!!
The Cricket Breeding manual is available electronically or as paperback. The Cockroach Breeding manual is available as paperback only. Wholesale rates apply to retailers/wholesalers and bulk orders from wildlife organisations:
The Manual can be purchased from the Our Products page.
If you are not completely satisfied we have a 100% money back guarantee!
What our Free Training Courses, Books and Videos will Equip you with
Our guide is not a literature review of internet blogs, it pioneers new and innovative techniques found nowhere else. This means that for the first time ever crickets can now be bred with the same effort and consistency as cockroaches. Well with less effort actually, as we have halved maintenance and effort of keeping cockroaches also!!. This is a significant development for wildlife enthusiasts who can now breed both species with ease.
For those of you who learn visually, we have made videos of our methods which can be accessed at a click of a button. To learn more about our books and videos see Our Products page. Also when you purchase a Zega book, you also get free email support, and Skype training to show you everything visually. See our Skype Training page for further details.
With around 160 pages and 240 color photos in our cricket guide (100 pages, 145 photos for cockroach guide), you simply can’t go wrong. Best of all most materials can be purchased from you supermarket and hardware store, in just a few minutes.
If you are a member of a reptile or wildlife organization, see our Group Support page to learn how to get our books at half price along with free Skype training for your members.
The Worlds most Comprehensive Cricket Breeding Guide
With around 160 pages and 240 color photos our insect breeding book series set the benchmark for insect breeding. To see why our book is the most comprehensive book you can buy on the topic, click Here. We also include a free book sample to show you the contents page and start of the book.
We have overhauled every aspect of cricket and cockroach production…
- container design
- food and water requirements
- making food and water dispensers
- maintenance/pest management, cleaning
- lots and lots more.
Be sure to check out our free 30 page book sample in below sections!!
Why not Turn an Expense Into Income?
We have bred insects commercially for over 14 years to wildlife parks, zoos, pet stores, wildlife rescue clubs, reptile keepers and the general public…. and we are happy to pass on our commercial tips to you. This is the only guide that has sufficient detail and experience to be used for private and commercial cricket production.
With a little extra effort, you can add extra containers and sell excess stock to the public. Many wildlife and reptile enthusiasts are always looking for a cheap and fresh supply of food for their animals. This is a great way to turn an expense into an income. Why not use unused space in your house or shed to produce a regular income?.
For Information and advice on commercial production, click Here.
Follow us on Facebook (@breedinginsects) to get regular video updates on how we are converting a 20 foot caravan into a profitable insect business.
“Check out 50 Ways our Numerous Techniques will Save you Time and Effort”
Below is a summary of the information contained in this manual (full content listed at bottom):
- Systems which minimize maintenance in conjunction with automated feeding/watering devices.
- Efficient container design, which is durable, maximizes growth rates, and saves time in maintenance and feeding activities.
- Innovative breeding methods which for the first time allow crickets to be bred with significantly less maintenance, without offensive odours and similar amount of effort as cockroaches.
- Plenty of tips on how to save time, effort and money through energy conservation or efficient food storage and processing.
- Details how to manage a commercial colony from breeding through to dispatch, transport and marketing.
- Plenty of tips to make the dispatch of crickets to your animals with minimal effort.
This manual is an accumulation of years of experience and experimentation which will provide you with a short cut to successful cricket breeding. Below is a full outline of the books contents Be sure to view our book sample on the home page.
Food and Water Requirements
- 4 different food/water dispensers to choose from which covers small and large scale production.
- 18 pages detailing how to build a food try with removes all wet/dry food and water together for quick and easy maintenance.
- Our automated feeding/watering dispensers, allows you to feed crickets for over 2 weeks unattended if necessary (i.e. good for going away on holidays). They are inexpensive to build, durable and designed not to spill. They dispense food at a controlled rate which saves money, reduces the frequency for refilling and improves hygiene.
- 7 different methods/tools to feed crickets to your animals quickly and easily (and filter them to the right size).
- Learn essential nutrients for cricket development, how to purchase food in bulk and store/process them properly to save wastage and money. Food recipes for standard and fast growth, gut loading and dusting.
- Tables outlining the nutritional content of key food groups such as dog, cat and chicken layer dry foods.
- Detailed instructions and photos how to build containers.
- 2 breeding systems to choose from to ensure the best method for all types of breeding. (i.e. small, medium and large scale/commercial production).
- 26 pages detailing advantages/disadvantages for different systems, building material, and step by step instructions how to construct breeding systems.
- See above sections (Why our systems work so well) for details how our breeding systems produce twice the crickets with half the effort.
- Learn the essential management secrets which ensures productive and consistent breeding.
Container Design and Construction
- Learn the 5 essential design considerations for an efficient container which is durable, maximizes growth rates, and saves time in maintenance and feeding activities.
- Some of the items covered includes how to maximize ventilation and air flow, easy access ports for feeding and removing crickets, removable screens for increased ventilation/heat management, keeping pinheads in and pest out.
- Detailed instructions and photos showing how to build step by step.
Heating and Storage
- Tables which provide the various temperature thresholds to manage a cricket colony
- Advantages/disadvantages for 4 different heating systems including free solar options. Find out the best method for productive cricket production.
- Learn the thermodynamic principles for efficient heat conservation.
- 20 methods to reduce your heating costs.
- How to estimate your heating costs and manage excessive heat.
- How to store breeding containers so they are easy to access and feeding can be done without opening the lid. This will allow numerous containers can be stored into a tight configuration, to save space or to increase the number of containers.
- Our innovative breeding systems prevent detritus from coming into contact with wet substrate, preventing fouling (eliminates smells) and cutting maintenance frequency by half.
- 3 different cleaning systems reduces maintenance to only a few minutes for each breeding container.
- Food and water dispensers can provide food for up to 2 weeks, reducing the need for food/water changes.
- Feeding methods allows 10 containers of crickets are able to be fed wet food in just 90 seconds.
- Systems to remove all cartons together for quick and easy maintenance.
- Devices to separate pinheads and larger crickets from detritus and food during maintenance. This allows more animals to be returned back to the colony.
- Systems to streamline cleaning for both small and commercial scale.
- Learn how to quickly separate crickets from their cartons without escapees and with minimal effort.
- How to make 3 different types of filtering devices to sort crickets on a commercial scale or smaller quantities to feed your animals.
- Make a cricket counting device which makes estimating cricket numbers easy and hassle free.
- Two systems to calculate cricket numbers (for small scale and large scale production).
- 3 different packaging and storage methods for dispatch to clients.
- Full details how to manage a commercial colony from breeding, maintenance, grading, dispatch, transport and marketing.
- 3 different breeding systems which can be used for large scale private production or commercial production.
- Details on how many crickets you can expect to produce with the different breeding systems and economic benefits.
- Outlines what you need to consider for commercial production and the expected expenses and potential income.
- Over 14 tips how to market crickets and find clients.
- How to keep detailed records and efficiencies to maximize profits.
- Example promotional material to help market your crickets
- Detailed information on how to manage all major pests, which often result in the failure of consistent cricket breeding.
- Our clever container design prevents pests from entering, including a special double screen system to keep out micro flies, a major pest species.
- Details how to build ant exclusion devices and micro-fly traps to prevent infestations.
- How to maintain genetics and maintain productivity
- How to choose the best species to for cricket breeding. Advantages and disadvantages between different species.
- Diagrams and photos of the anatomy of a cricket and how to distinguish between female/male, adult and medium crickets.
- Understand the life cycle, breeding and behavior characteristics of crickets to reduce cannibalism and increase breeding success.
- Find out the best temperatures to maximize egg viability and cricket growth. The best heating methods to increase productivity.
- The main nutrient and environmental conditions for productive cricket breeding.
Lots and lots more!!