1) Hobbyist or Small Scale Commercial
- Most hobbyist often breed crickets using a large scale commercial method (described below) which requires much more maintenance (daily spraying, container rotation, daily feeding) which is why most people give up after a few months.
- “The Zega Substrate Cricket Breeding System” is a low maintenance and productive method that is well suited for Private or Small Scale Commercial Production”. To learn more about this breeding method visit our Better Cricket Breeding Methods page.
- Each substrate breeding container will generate approximately 1 standard pet store cricket container per week (approximately 33 large crickets/container).
- The waste wet food generated from an average family (two adults, two kids) can produce sufficient crickets to support approximately four containers. Four breeding containers will feed approximately 3 to 12 adult bearded dragons (depending on cricket consumption rate chosen).
- We recommend this system for someone who wants to breed up to 8 standard pet store cricket containers per week. This equates to approximately 250 large crickets/week or 1000 large crickets/month. For larger quantities of crickets we generally recommend using the Zega Batch Breeding System described below.
- See below for details about how many breeding containers can be stored in a small space.